Eastern Front Tiger 1 whitewash - 1st attempt.

So I decided to brave it and give the plastic Warlord Tiger a coat of 'whitewash' suitable for the Russian Winter. This was my first ever attempt at a winter themed model and it was with much trepidation that I took up the paintbrush, it could only go one of two ways, an acceptable finish or complete disaster! The look I wanted to achieve was that of a factory grey Panzer that had been given a makeshift camouflage job by it's crew, using whitewash of a poor grade that was applied by large brushes, often with buckets of the stuff thrown on and brushed out as is often described. The results were often quite uneven and tended to wear off requiring a second coat. What I did not want to end up with was a completely white tank, I wanted some of the base coat to show through, and some rusting here and there, I also wanted the wash to be quite thin around the engine vents and to leave some of the detail of the anti mine paste coating showing as slightly darker. A touch of sparkling frosting would also be seen, but I did not want to try to achieve thicker snow as often seen on these models, it's very cold, the snow has compacted down to ice, the worst of the weather is yet to come.

Overall I'm pleased how this turned out, I used a fairly dry brush of silver grey, sometimes highlighted with Ivory, that's as white as I wanted to come. I'm not quite sure what to do with the tracks yet, should I add this 'ice' to the tracks? I dunno yet, I might experiment with that, but for now I'm happy and will move onto another Tiger model or try a Panther possibly given the same treatment. Any comments and suggestions welcome, especially from those who have modelled this look before. I cut the commander in half so he sits much lower in the turret until he can be replaced with a metal figure from warlord.

So does it make you shiver!






Post a Comment

0 Comments