Getting back in the swing.

A bit more progress on the 4 Highlanders today, spent an hour working on the kilts but still far from happy. I wanted to give an impression of the 92nds tartan that will also tie in with the 12 figures already painted by Andy. Where the yellow lines cross there appears to be a central dot with lighter square around it but it's really hard to achieve and I may need to start again! I think the pattern is too large anyway and needs more lines, closed up a bit so back to the drawing board it is. I must have painted loads of kilts in the past in scales from 28mm down to 6mm, these are far more demanding, but I'm enjoying having a brush in my hand again. Going to pull up a few past images of Highlanders I have painted for reference.

Just can't get those kilts right!

The trusty old paint box.

Nice view from the table and plenty of light.


The wooden palette was from a craft shop here, I will lay dampened greaseproof paper over it to create a wet palette effect.

Coming along despite the tartan. Muskets, socks and gaiters to be tackled next and more work on the head bands.
It's 25 degrees here today, so I'm sitting inside in the cool, I notice how quickly the paint dries up once out the tube so I'm returning to the trusty old wet pallete. Next week I hope to visit a Vallejo stockist in Valencia when we are there to open our Bank Account, there are two listed in Valencia.

*EDIT - since posting the above I have taken the tartans back to a base shade of dark green and dug up these couple of images - my own Victrix plastic Highlanders from 2010 - and I'm going to use these as a guide, I think the blue pattern over dark green and bold yellow works well as an Impression of the 92nd tartan, at least it will do for me! I sold all these off years ago, really did not like the flimsy plastic and kept breaking the bayonets.







Post a Comment

0 Comments